quotation station:

"Mid pleasures and palaces though we may roam... Be it ever so humble, there's no place like home." John Howard Payne

June 11, 2008

¿quieres saber algo de Lagos? :)

Hello everyone! Thank you for all the comments and emails :) It's good to know that my site is not going to waste!

Anyway, this past weekend was spent in Lagos, Portugal. It was absolutely gorgeous! I haven't uploaded pictures yet, but I will soon and then you will have to agree with me. We got to Lagos in the late afternoon on Friday after actually passing it to visit the Southernmost point of Portugal. The Atlantic was on both sides of us and on one side, we were able to climb down the rocks to the water... It was absolutely amazing and I wished I could have hiked and climbed some more... and I was in flip-flops no less! But anyway, I dipped my feet into the Atlantic Ocean at the Southernmost tip of Portugal and I think that's pretty sweet. There will be many pictures coming from this little pit-stop... prepare yourselves :) The coasts in Europe are very different from the ones I am used to in Florida and the like. There are so many more cliffs, with beaches nestled in between. I wonder why that is...

The hotel in which we stayed exceeded any and all expectations that I had had. I thought we would be staying in some low-budget place considering we're a group of students on a weekend trip... but Oh no... we stayed in a FOUR STAR hotel about 10 minutes walking distance from the beach. Our balcony overlooked the marina (in the distance) and a beautiful resort style pool with an island and sturdy straw umbrellas providing shade. Very cool. There was a delicious complimentary breakfast buffet each morning with cereal, yogurt, ham, mushrooms, roasted tomatoes, toast, fresh fruit, and a slew of other things... A VERY nice change from my usual toast and jelly breakfast. Oh man... I ate SO much. And I kind of had two breakfasts each of the days... :)
And as for other meals... lots of fresh fish. Another wonderful change considering I get none of it in my house here... but we're talking bones still in them and everything. Lots of work and vigilance. But tasty nonetheless. Except for the Sardines. They tasted alright, but WAY too much work for just OK meat. Plus it's a lot harder to eat something that you know was alive and well earlier that day... and LOOKS like it was too. All in all though, buena comida. :)

While I was there, I noticed that they liked their modern and contemporary style. The buildings, the furniture, the art... our hotel room was mostly white with small hints of sand color and blue... Lots of stainless steel. Basically just very graphic and minimalist.... art for art's sake kind of things. I'm not sure if it was just our hotel or a trend throughout all of Lagos... though I did see many contemporary houses on the way in...

Enough of my boring nerdiness... some exciting news: I have now seen the Atlantic Ocean from the other side TWICE! I think that's pretty awesome... what's more, I've been in the water... SO cold. But it was an experience :) Besides some limited swimming, we played some frisbee on the beach, napped in the sun, ate well and just relaxed. I didn't get sunburned! So that was a nice triumph :) Also, we went to this bar Saturday night where there were a slew of Brits. I've decided Portugal is the place to go if you're on holiday in Britain. The bartender spoke 7 languages, which of course made me jealous. But more on that some other time..... I had a very highly recommended drink called a Black Capiroska... made with a Portuguese black vodka that supposedly has a hint of a blackberry taste in it. It was very tasty indeed. :)

Anyway, this week is a short one (no school on Friday) but that does mean we have any less work... It's a little stressful. Two papers and a presentation in one class, the same in the other, and then a final exam for each... and all this happens in the next week and a half... And there's so much I still want to DO here! I'm running out of time. But all will go well. I'm excited for this weekend... we leave on a train for Granada at 7 in the morning on Friday and come back late Saturday. I'll be seeing the Alhambra and I can't WAIT. Due to the lack of time, I may be a little slow on getting pictures up and in all likelihood they will go up after my trip... so keep checking back. :)

Gotta go now... class is about to start!

Love you and miss you all!

No comments: