FOUND: free internet... at least for a little while
I'm over at Alex's (ridiculously large by comparison) apartment where there is free internet. It was a 35 minute walk or so, but it was well worth it...
Now, to continue with and finish my weekday schedule:
11:30- 1st class is over and I scramble into the lobby area to try and get a free computer since my own cannot pickup the wireless there. This is when I read email and check facebook, which takes up most of the 30 minute break.
12:00- 2nd class starts: SPAN 4080-- basically we're studying popular culture in Spain. It's actually very interesting and I'm realizing that I knew VERY little about Spain's modern history. I think people get so caught up with learning about World War II and the things surrounding it that they don't realize that Spain, from just before WWII until the 1970s was under the rule of Franco, a dictator. Anyway, I'll save all my academia for later... hopefully I'll know my fair share by the end of the six weeks. :)
1:30- 2nd class is over and I scramble into the lobby area to try and get a free computer :) Yes, I do the exact same thing. ISFLE (Institute of San Fernando for Foreign Language Education) closes from 2 to 3 for a brief "comida." That is the lunch/siesta break that EVERYone takes in Sevilla-- but more on that later.
2:15-2:30ish- Comida con Dolores (AKA Lunch)... Dolores is a very good cook. So far, everything has been delicious. Not as much variation as I'm used to, but tasty just the same. They use Olive Oil in EVERYthing here... so that's been an interesting adjustment. We also always have a loaf of bread with every meal-- the bread here is wonderful.
2-5pm- This entire period of the day is what Spaniard call "La Comida" and "La siesta." Basically, everyhing, all the businesses, stores, offices, and schools shut down for 3 hours so that everyone can go eat and sleep. The only places that remain open are the cafés and bars. This seems like it would be a good idea... except it's the time of day when you would want to get everything done... and you CAN'T... you just have to sit on your heels and wait for 5:00 to roll around. And now I find myself getting very tired and actually wanting to take a siesta... it's like the schedule is invading my system... weird.
5pm-9pm- More or less free time. This is also when all the tours and optional cultural events happen.
9-10:15pm- Dinner ends up falling in this time frame...
10:15-- The rest of the night depends on how we're feeling. We could go out clubbing, salsa dancing, whatever. People here stay out WAY later. It is not normal to go to bed before midnight, and even that is considered early. Jill and I might go out and come home around 1 am and Lola will still be awake watching TV.
Anyway, that's a typical weekday... it's been an interesting adjustment. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Hola Daughter. Gracias for all the updates. I especially enjoyed the Cathedral music video. Very pretty and awesome, but I do hope the Cathedral itself isn't "All you need." Love Daddio
I love how you said the Spaniard in your post. :) It made me happy. I can't wait to talk to you again. I love you.
Drew
Post a Comment